Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2013 Running Goals

I read in a recent Runner's World magazine to keep it simple and choose 2 big goals for the year.  I like that.  It fits well with what I was planning.  So my goals for this year are to complete my first half marathon and my first full marathon.

Half Marathon:  I have already signed up for the Egg Shell Shuffle at Busse Woods on March 30.  Last week, I began the 12 week training plan and so far, so good.  I'm excited about this first running adventure of the year.  My goal is just to finish and try my best to let go of any time goals.  But I know myself too well.  As the race gets closer, I'm sure I'll have a time goal in mind that I will be striving for.

Full Marathon:  The second goal is to run the Bank of America Chicago marathon on October 13.  I can't believe registration is so early (mid-February), and I've heard it fills up fast.  As long as no major injury comes up in the next month, I plan on registering!  (gulp in my throat)  It's interesting how I told myself I would never run a marathon and how people who do marathons are crazy and dumb.   Now I'm one of those crazy and dumb people :)

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to cheering you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't despair! A good friend of mine and a believer (who has Type 1 Diabetes)ran the Chicago Marathon last fall. She ran it as a spiritual discipline as well as a physical one... Her 5 year old son was diagnosed with ALL Leukemia in late 2011 and she spent all year ministering to his needs only to find that He wanted to take her out for a run on that beautiful marathoning day last October. He will take you out to run it too if He'd like you to be there and take His hand... Press on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Linda, for the encouragement. I will press on and run in His strength. I'm reminded of Philippians 4:13... one of my favorite verses in the Bible "I can do all things through Jesus Christ who gives me strength."

    ReplyDelete